Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Home Sweet Home

Part of this adventure has been finding a place to live.

For months now I have been telling friends about this idea I have. My dream house. Not even a house. It is really this backyard. In my mind's eye I see this garden. Friends gathered around a fire pit. Bob Marley or The Beatles playing in the background. The sound of laughter mixing with crickets, mellow tunes, and a crackling fire. A night sky blanketed with stars. Flowers and ferns lining stone paths. There is an ivy covered trellis, solar powered twinkle lights, and a hammock. The smell of smoke and spicy herbs. And the icing on this (saccharine-y) cake is that in the background a dog is eating tomatoes off the vine. While this concept is so cheesy I can spread it on crackers, to me this sounds wonderful.

Alright, so while I know that I won't move to Chicago and find this magical garden of all the perfect sounds and smells complete with a dog who has a taste for tomatoes; esp. those right off the vine ... a garden is on the list for my apt search. Being a New Yorker and living in an apartment a garden is this foreign concept that holds so much potential. So, along with an interest in certain neighborhoods and amenities I know a garden will help make my apt. a home. Luckily, Chicago has a plethora of beautiful apartments to help make this dream come true.

So far the apt search has been an interesting endeavor. While it has yielded no permant abode yet, I am in touch with friends whom I haven't spoken to in a while. Their kindness and support has meant a lot during this transition. I have also met a few potential roommates/friends through the school (some even from NY; take us out of the city and we tend to gravitate towards each other) My "fall back" is also a wonderful option thanks to a wonderful friend. All in all this should be good and as time flows I will update as to which option I went with.

Anyway, it is late and time to call it a night. Sweet dreams.


No comments: