Friday, August 12, 2011

Museum

In one week I begin the 2 day journey to Chicago. But before I can even think about that there is much on this end to do. Paperwork and packing. And see you laters. I don't like goodbyes. Paths cross again. I already have plans in the works for my first visit back. But before I leave or make plans to comeback there are still adventures and celebrations to be had here. Before this new chapter begins.

And today was adventure and celebration. The weather was beautiful. A taste of what summer in my mind should be. Cool breezes stiring the leaves in the trees. Sunny days. Smiles on the faces of everyone. And a lack of humidity. Because I have the summer off and my good friend has summer fridays; we decided to make the trek to the Museum of Natural History. I grew up at this museum. Fitting I should visit it before I move to a new city.

When I was a kid my mom would bring my brothers and me to the museum. We would visit the dinosaurs, the big blue whale and my favorite the gems. I loved being able to run through those levels and touch the gems and the geodes. I love geodes; there is something wonderful and maybe poetic about how on the outside the rock is plain or unattractive and on the inside is color and texture.

So "J" and I went uptown to visit the museum and check out their brain exhibit. It had been awhile since I was there and dang the museum has changed. The cafe has become gourmet with fancy Italian dishes and a salad bar, they have closed the lower level of the museum shop, and a few exhibits have a new facade. All the changes though seem to be positive (and they left the gems section as is) and it was wonderful to be at the museum. "J" and I bought our tickets and made our way downstairs for some food. Where she presented me with this...





Great minds think alike. I love it.


After lunch we made our way to the brain exhibit. It is a great! Most of it is tactile and hands on. I learned some cool new facts. We played some fun games they had to demonstrate how the brain works and explored the exhibit. Visited a few of the old favorites (like the big tree) and then left. Overall it was great time with a great friend.

I am going to sign off now. It has been a long day. Sweet Dreams.

No comments: